Sorry for Being Helpful!

Yesterday (13th July 2014), I went to the Delhi Cantt Railway Station to drop a friend going to Jaipur. The train left at around 6:55PM from Platform Number 2. It was time for me to head back home. I took the foot over bridge to reach Platform Number 1 and then exit. As it had to happen, I was slowly climbing up the stairs, completely lost in thoughts. Just then I heard some female voice saying, 'सारे लड़के पागल होते हैं क्या'. Surprised I turned back and saw a young lady dressed quite well shouting at a few boys sitting on the stairs of the foot over bridge. I climbed down a few steps and tried to understand what had happened. They boys were staring hard at this lady and had passed a few comments as well and were joyfully laughing when she was shouting at them. 


I tried to intervene and handed over my visiting card to the lady. I asked her to call up 100 or we can complain in the Police Booth at the station. She waited for a minute. Then she said lets go to the Police Booth. We started moving along with a few more mute spectators who did not care to open their mouth till now. 


We had hardly walked 7-8stairs, the lady turned to me and said 'एक मिनट, कहीं आप मौके का फ़ायदा उठा के चांस तो नहीं मार रहे क्योंकि लगता तो नहीं आप किसी NGO के President हो'. I was taken aback, quite literally. I was very casually dressed in a T-shirt and Pyjama and had two helmets in hand. It had rained and I thought you don't need to dress up formally for visiting a Railway Station and otherwise also, I am least concerned about what I wear. I have been pointed out at many a times earlier also for my dressing sense but I really don't care. But what happened yesterday was quite shocking for me. 


Then she moved on refuse to file a police complaint against the eve-teasers even though she had taken a photograph of the accused in her phone. I asked her why so, she chose to keep quiet. Quite irritated, I asked to return my visiting card lest she accuses me of offering her my mobile number. 


Till now I am trying to understand as to what exactly happened out there. I was just trying to help her. I didn't offer her a lift, I didn't invite her for a coffee, I didn't even ask her name. I simply asked her to go to the Police Post and complain!


Nevertheless. Take care! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Your comment has been submitted for posting. It will appear here once approved by Shobhit Chauhan!